Monday, September 28, 2009

Joe Noob's Myspace Band Of The Week: Dala




By JOE NOOB
Staff Blogger


The acoustic, indie darlings from Toronto, Dala, is officially the first MySpace Artist of the Week. The duo narrowly beat out Ottawa powerpop rocker Rachel Ferguson.
It would appear that I am all about the pop this week, even though all that has been coming out of my iPod headphones has been Monsters of Folk, Bob Seger and Led Zepplin for the past week.
I can tell you one thing for sure- that is going to change.
Folk, classic rock, I would like to introduce you to pop and powerpop...I hope you four get along alright.
Dala’s hit “,Levi Blues,” has what every hit country/pop song needs: a catchy acoustic riff, a poppy melody and of course a story about love. It isn’t awfully original; in fact, part of what makes it so catchy and appealing is it sits so well on your ears, like an old familiar tune.
I know, I know, I said country and pop, which means 80 per cent of you probably just said GTFO and are about to close your browser, but hear me out.
The sad love song “Hockey Sweater” sounds like a song that would be sung by Glen Hansard of The Frames, in fact, listening to it, I can’t help but hear Glen’s voice singing in the background somewhere. Even though there is no male vocals. Maybe the reason I think of Hansard when I hear “Hockey Sweater” is that the vocals sound so much like Czech singing Markéta Irglová, who sung alongside Hansard in the 2006 film Once (highly recommended...some of the best love songs out there.)
Not only will I be searching the stores for Dala’s album, but I will be keeping a watchful eye out for tour dates. And so should you.


This has been Joe Noob’s MySpace Artist of the Week.
If you know of a band that you think should be spotlighted in my Band of the Week, please email us , or visit us on Twitter or MySpace.

To check out Joe Noob's Myspace Band of the week, look no further than Dala's Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blogs