Monday, January 11, 2010

2009 Albums: The Foz Edition


ONE: Metric- Fantasies

2) Phoenix -Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
3) Yeah Yeah Yeah's-It’s Blitz!
4) Thornley-Tiny Pictures

5) Jet-Shaka Rock

6) Them Crooked Vultures-Them Crooked Vultures

7) Marianas Trench -Masterpiece Theater 2

8) Billy Talent- 3

9) The Fray-The Fray

10) Priestess-Prior To The Fire

11) Our Lady Peace-Burn Burn

12) Matt Good-Vancouver

13) Tegan And Sara- Sainthood

14) Wolfmother-Cosmic Egg

15) Muse-The Resistance

16) Alexisonfire-Old Crows/Young Cardinals

17) Owl City-Ocean Eyes

18) Paramore-Brand New Eyes

19) Ill Scarlet -1UP

20) U2-No Line On The Horizon

Before you judge, let The Foz explain:

Yes I put Metric at the top of my list of albums of 2009, but this is not the first thing I want to discuss. I would like to point out that after #13 on my list none of these albums are overly good. Most of them got 1 or 2 plays out of me and that was it. So understand I don’t love No Line On The Horizon, but I had 20 spots to fill and I did that.
Most people reading this will also be upset the Them Crooked Vultures is only number 6. The reason the Them Crooked Vultures is so high on the list is because I got the album on Christmas Day and have listened to it in its entirety once. For me after one listen to like an album this much is impressive to say the least!
One last comment before I actually talk about my #1. I need to mention that for part of the summer I turned into a screaming 14-year-old girl and loved Masterpiece Theater 2. This has nothing to do with the fact that the lead singer is “Dreamy” and has all to do with the fact this album is a pop song dream book. I must say the lead singer does have his moments.
Fantasies! I have fantasies about this album some nights then again I also have fantasies about Emily Haines…These two fantasies might be related. The album is downright amazing. There is not a track that I skip when it comes on my mixes, and the whole album is on most of my mixes these days. The album starts with “Help I’m Alive” and is a great song don’t get me wrong, but there are so many other amazing songs on this album. The list includes Sick Muse, Satellite Minds, Gold Gun Girls, and Stadium Love. All of these songs are amazing! Simply put I can listen to this album a few times a day and I still love it. I would like to discuss Stadium Love for one moment. Who decided that writing a song about putting random animals in a ring and letting them fight would be good? Emily Haines I guess! She is so good in this song I can look past the fact that lyrics are stupid and just enjoy the sounds. Needless to say there is no way in a few hundred words I can describe why Fantasies is the best album of the year. If you have been living under a rock over the last year and have not heard it just listen for yourself and you will see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Blogs